跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-9-16 00:24:12 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多家长,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转家长易社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
Unit Thirty-One
Passage 2
  Ever since humans have lived onthe 11 , they have made use of various forms of communication.Generally, this expression of thoughts and feelings has been in the form of 12speech. When there is a language  barrier, communication is "13 through sign language in whichmotions 14 for letters, words, and ideas. Tourists and the people unableto hear or speak have had to 15 to this form of expression. Many ofthese symbols of whole words are very 16 and exact and can be used 17;spelling, however, cannot.
  Body language 18 ideas orthoughts by certain actions, either intentionally or unintentionally. A winkcan be a way of indicating that the party is only joking. A nod signifies approval,while shaking the head indicates a 19 reaction.
  Other forms of nonlinguisticlanguage can be found in Braille (a system of raised dots read with thefingertips) , signal flags, Morse code, and smoke signals. Road maps and 20signs also guide, warn, and instruct people.
  While language is the most commonform of communication, other systems and techniques also express human thoughtsand feelings.
A. picture  B.oral   C. stand   D. world   E. internationally           F.optional    G. resort    H.vivid  I.earth   J. accomplished   
K. transmits   L.represent  M. negative  N. intelligently   O. translates
Unit Thirty-Two
Passage 2
  Perhaps it was only during thedawn of the human race that women 11 stood equal with men. At thebeginning, I think both sexes shared equal responsibility for the 12 ofthe race. Men and women shared in the hunt and in wars. Traces of this ancienttradition can be found, for example, in the Achinese society in North Sumatra, where women fought alongside men againstthe invading Dutch colonial 13 during the Achinese wars in the 19thcentury. Some women even became admirals of the Achinese fleet. Other culturesin other parts of the world have had the 14 tradition.
  Perhaps the invention of agriculture 15 the beginning of a
differentiation between men's and women's roles. Men continued to hunt,and women became food gatherers and tended the field. Men 16 becameagriculturists as well, when the hunt no longer provided enough sustenance forthe community. The biological fact that women 17 children, and that eachtime they give birth they are 18 , for a time, fully to play their rolein the provision of sustenance and other work for the family, slowly gave riseto more distinct men's and women's roles. Men who are physically stronger 19on such " natural" roles as warriors, and in most cases men becamechiefs, commanders, and kings. In the 20 of history, as matriarchalsystems became minorities in many cultures, the roles of men and women in manysocieties became increasingly gender-oriented and differentiated.
A. really  B.police   C. bear    D. course E. survival   F. later                   G. forces    H. unable I. lately   J. process  K.  remarked           L. marked    M. same  N. took   O. unstable
Unit Thirty-Three
Passage 2
Southern Californians would love to find some way of knowinga month in advance whether a 11 earthquake will likely strike. Onemeteorologist suggests atmospheric pressure patterns might provide some 12. Jerome Namias of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla,Calif. , proposed this 13 in 1988 when he reported that an unusuallystrong high-pressure system developed in the North Pacific before quakes strucksouthern Californiain 1986 and 1987. Now Namias has 14 expanded his analysis by studyingthe summers between 1947 and 1987.
From a 15of all southern Californiaearthquakes with magnitudes of 4- 5 or greater during that period, Namias 16out the summers with many quakes and those with no quakes. His analysis of themeteorology during these summers shows that quakes were more 17 under aparticular set of conditions; a stronger-than-normal North Pacific highpressure, a low-pressure ridge over the 18 interior. Summers with noquakes usually had a weak Pacific high and a poorly developed continental high,he reports in the Dec. 10 JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH.   
Namias cannot 19the apparent correlation between pressure and seismicity, but he 20 thatvariations in seafloor pressure or in sea-surface temperature might influenceboth the atmospheric pressure and the ground stress in California.
A.damaging   B.  idea C.  trace   D. greatly E. picked   F. clue   G. explain  H. forcefully   I.detects    J. plan   K. continental   
L.  list   M.predicts  N.  managing   O. likely
Unit Thirty-Four
Passage 2
It is estimatedthat 11 seven hundred million people—about half of the world'spopulation—are unable to read and write, and there are probably two hundred andfifty million more whose level of attainment is so slight that it 12qualifies a literacy.
Recently theattack on illiteracy has been 13 up. A world plan has been drawn up by acommittee of UNESCO experts in Paris,as part of the UNESCO Nations Development Decade, and an internationalconference on the 14 has also been held. UNESCO stresses that functionalliteracy is the aim. People must learn the 15 skills of responsible 16: the ability to read notices, newspapers, timetables, letters, pricelists, tokeep simple records and accounts, to 17 out the significance of theinformation gathered, and to fill in forms.
The 18 areas of illiteracy are in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. In Africathere are at least one hundred million illiterates,        19 eighty to eighty-five percent of the 20 population. In Europe the figure is about twenty-fourmillion, most of them in Southern Europe, with Spain,Italy, Portugal, and Yugoslaviaheading the list (the United  Kingdom has about seven hundred thousand).
A. basic  B.    citizenship  C. stepped D. some
E. major    F.  barely    G. sort   H. membership
I. superior    J.     entire    K. scarcely     L.  constituting
M. total   N.subject  O.    comprising      
Unit Thirty-Five
Passage 2
On my arrival in America, theone thing I noticed more than anything else
was the , 11 amount of advertising that went on,—on the radio, ontelevision, on billboard and signposts, and in magazines. In the last threeyears, I have become accustomed to this fact in American life, for I believethat it is a creative and necessary part of an industrial 12 .1, too,want to improve my life-style and to buy better products, so I 13 toadvertising to show me how to do it.
Deciding what tobelieve in advertising, however, isn't easy. It seems to me that a person must 14things with a lot of care. As a consumer, I want to get the best for my money,but I really have to understand the techniques of advertising. Otherwise,manufacturers will be able to sell me anything, no matter what its quality maybe.
More and morepeople are becoming 15 , like me, of the ways in which advertising canaffect them. The creative aspects of commercials, for instance, often cover updefects or problems in products. I have learned this well, since I have madepurchases and lost money because the 16 were of poor quality.
The future ofadvertising will most likely involve a much greater 17 of
public participation. I intend to become involved in consumer groups thatwant to 18 people from misleading advertising. But I also want to seeAmericans keep their high 19 of living in the process. In the future, ifconsumers like me really care about the quality of something as well as thequantity, 20 advertisers will begin to care more about what they aretrying to sell.
A. consequent   B.   protect   C. standards   D. tremendous
E. grade    F. society   G. degree   H. look
I. protest   J.  items     K. purchase    L.  association
M. conscious   N.    maybe   0.  whereas      
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
分享到:  QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|网站地图|家长易论坛 ( 鄂ICP备16011226号-1  点我聊天

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 01:10