楼主
发表于 2012-9-16 01:00:19 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多家长,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转家长易社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
本帖最后由 遇见明天 于 2012-9-16 01:01 编辑
Unit Forty-Six
Passage 2
Most people have heard of Shakespeare and probably know something of theplays that he wrote. However, not everybody knows much about the life of thisremarkable man, except 11 that he was born in the market town of Stratford-upon—Avon andthat he married a woman called Anne Hathaway. We know nothing of his schoollife. We do not know, for example, how long it lasted, but we 12 that heattended the local grammar school, where the 13 subject taught was Latin.
Nothing certain is known of what he did between the time he left schooland his 14 for London.According to a local legend, he was beaten and even put in prison for stealingrabbits and deer from the estate of a neighboring landowner, Sir Thomas Lucy.It is said that because of this he was forced to run away from his 15 place. Adifferent legend says that he was apprenticed to a Stratfordbutcher, but did not like the life and for this reason 16 to leave Stratford.
Whatever caused him to leave the town of his birth, the world can be 17that he did so. What is certain is that he set his foot on the roadjto 18 whenhe arrived in London.It is said that at first he was without money or friends there, but that heearned a little by taking care of the horses of the gentlemen who attended theplays at the theatre. In time, as he became a 19 figure to the actors in thetheatre, they stopped and spoke to him. They found his conversation sobrilliant that finally he was invited to     20      their company.
A. fame  B. graceful C. join    D. perhaps
E.  forecast    F.  departure   G. somehow   H. presume
I. native J.  familiar  K. decided L.  meaningful
M. principal     N. grateful  O. rejection     
Unit Forty-Seven
Passage 2
Sylvester and I are watching television advertisements because we needinformation for a class 11 project. We have to discuss realism and distortionin television advertising, and so we are looking for examples of distortionsand falsehoods in television commercials. The question we are asking is,"Is the commercial      12      to life, or does it      13     an unreal picture of the product?"
Sylvester is keeping track of the distortions, and he already has quite along list. He says that all housewives seem to live in lovely homes, dressbeautifully, and love their household chores. They smile and 14 about floorwaxes and 15 display their dirty 16 , dusty tabletops, and dirty ovens. Inaddition, he had never seen men doing housework. Sylvester thinks that thisview of family life is filled with distortions.
I am keeping track of the people who appear in the advertisements. I havefound handsome men courting the All-American Girl, and they are always 17 brandX toothpaste or brand Y cologne. I see teenagers and children surrounded bytheir friends, having 18 times at parties and at school, and they are usually   enjoying  large   harmonious   family         19     .I   think   that  these advertisements are also filled with distortions.
Sylvester and I have concluded that much of American life is pictured 20 in commercials.
A. appreciating E. laundry I.  proudly M.  consistently D.  true
B.  gatherings  C. offer F.  boast   G. actual H. resource  L.  research
J. recommending   K.  wonderful N.  unrealistically    O. assigning
Unit Forty-Eight
Passage 2
Not so long ago it was assumed that the dangers man would meet in spacewould be 11 , the main ones being radiation and the danger of being hit bymeteors. It is perhaps 12 remembering that less than two centuries ago, thedangers of train travel seemed 13 terrible. A man would certainly die, it wasthought, if carried along at a speed of 30 m.p. h.
There are two sorts of radiation man must fear in space. The first is fromthe sun, which is 14 The second, less harmful form, comes from the so-calledVan Allen Belts. These two kinds of radiation are as far as about 1,500 milesaway from the earth. Neither of these forms of 15 is dangerous to us on theearth, since we are protected by our atmosphere. Specifically, it is that partof our atmosphere 16 as the ozonosphere which protects us. This is a belt ofthe chemical ozone between 12 and 21 miles from the 17 which absorbs all theradiation.
Once outside the atmosphere, however, man is no longer protected, andradiation can be harmful in a number of ways. A distinction must be drawnbetween the short and long-term effects of radiation. The 18 are merelyunpleasant, but just because an astronaut     19      from a journey in spacedoes
not seem to have been greatly harmed, we cannot assume that he issafe.  The long-term effects can beextremely serious, even      20      to death.
A.  guiding B. terrible C. leading  D. worthy
E. known    F.  similarly    G. deadly   H. projection
I.  returning    J.  formal   K. radiation     L.  worth
M.  ground     N. meanwhile    O. former         
Unit Forty-Nine
Passage 2
John Hunter had three advantages. He had a brother who was a doctor and hewas thus able to learn about 11 and their effects. His 12 curiosity led him toobserve and study the lives of wild animals in the countryside and he hadstrong and skillful hands, so 13 to a surgeon. In fact he became in a shorttime so famous that he was asked to lecture, but John 14 the practical work ofthe surgeon.
Soon after becoming a surgeon Hunter joined the army. He learnt a greatdeal from his 15 of dealing with soldiers' wounds. In particular, he studiedhow to 16 a wounded man frombleeding too much, learning thereby how the nerve system 17 in the bodies of animals and humans. But there weremany things he did not know about and which could only be learnt by dissection.And this came to be a problem.
The Christian church whose authority was complete on many matters frownedon dissection. Surgeons had to pay grave-diggers to steal bodies fordissection. Hunter once paid $ 7, 000 for the body of an eight-foot Irishmanwhose skeleton can 18 be seen in the Royal College of Surgeons' museum. To be asurgeon was thought so 19 an occupation that many operations were carried outby barbers.
But Hunter continued with his 20 , all the time learning more about howour bodies worked, and he found new ways of operating on people so as to saveboth their limbs and their lives.
A.  already                B.  preferred            C. experience          D.  inferior
E.  functioned           F. diseases              G. efficient             H. still
I.  essential                J. experiments        K. prevent              L.  natural
M.  prevailed             N. explanation        O.  referred
Unit Fifty
Passage 2
Some years ago industries had more freedom than they have now, and theydid not need to be as careful as they must today. They did not need to worry alot about the safety of the new products that they 11 . They did not have topay much attention to the health and safety of the people who worked for them.Often new products were 12 for the people who used them; often conditions inthe work place had very bad 13 on the health of the workers.
Of course 14 there were real disasters which attracted the attention ofgovernments and which showed the need for changes. Also scientists who weredoing research into the health of workers sometimes produced information whichgovernments could not 15 . At such times, there were inquiries into the 16 ofthe disasters or the problems. New safety rules were often 17 as a result ofthese inquiries; however, the new rules came too late to protect the people whodied or who became 18 ill.
Today many governments have special departments which protect      19 and workers.  In the U. S. , for example, there is adepartment which tests new airplanes and gives warnings about possibleproblems. It also makes the rules that aircraft producers must 20. Anotherdepartment controls the foods and drugs that companies sell. A third departmentlooks at the places where people work, and then reports any companies that arebreaking the laws which protect the health and safety of workers.
A.  effects B. follow     C. necessarily D. regulate
E. dangerous  F.  developed  G. efforts    H. seriously
I.  introduced J.  causes   K. sometimes L.  customers
M.  invented  N. technicians O. ignore         
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
分享到:  QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|网站地图|家长易论坛 ( 鄂ICP备16011226号-1  点我聊天

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 06:00