[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-9-6 21:23:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多家长,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转家长易社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
本帖最后由 遇见明天 于 2012-9-9 14:22 编辑
Directions: In this passage there are ten blanks. You arerequired to select one word for each blank from a list of choices given in aword bank following the passage. Read the passage through carefully beforemaking your choices. Each choice in the bank is identified by a letter. Pleasemark the corresponding letter for each item on Answer Sheet 2 with a singleline through the centre. You may not use any of the words in the bank more thanonce.
Questions 1 to 10are based on the following passage.
Unit One
Looking back on yearsof living in a working-class home in the North of England, I should say that a goodliving room must 11three principalthings: homeliness, warmth and plenty of good food.
The living-room is the warm heart of the family and 12 often slightly stuffy to a middle-class visitor. It isnot a social centre but a family center; little entertaining goes on there orin the front room, if there 13 to be one; you do notentertain in anything approaching the middle-class 14.
The wife's social life outside her 15 family is found over the washing-line, at the little shop on the corner,visiting relatives at a moderate 16 occasionally, and perhaps now and again avisit with her husband to his pub or club.
Apart from these two places, he has just his work and hisfootball matches. They will have, each of them, friends at all these places,who may well not know what the inside of their house is like, having never"stepped across the threshold," as the old 17 phrase has it.
The family hearth is 18 forthe family itself, and those who are “some thing to us"(another favoriteformula) and who look in for a talk or just to sit. Much of the free time of aman and his wife will 19 be passed at that earth. Juststaying in is still one of the most common leisure-time 20  
  A.  happens  B. professions   C. sense  D. nevertheless
E. fashioned  F distance G. immediate H. usually
I.  occupations J. preserved K. imitate  L. provide
M. therefore  N  reserved O. contribute
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
Unit Two
Passage2
  Flying over a desert area in an airplane, twoscientists looked down with trained eyes at trees and bushes. After an hour's 11 one of the scientists wrote in his book, "Look here for 12 metal." Scientists in another airplane, flying over a mountainregion, sent a 13 to other scientists on the ground, “Gold possible." Walking across hilly ground, four scientists reported, “This groundshould be searched for metals. “ From an airplane over a hilly wasteland ascientist sent back by radio one word, “Uranium.”
None of thescientists had X-ray eyes: they had no 14 powersfor looking down below the earth's surface. They were 15 putting to use one of the newest methods of 16 mineralsin the ground—using trees and plants as 17 thatcertain minerals may lie beneath the ground on which the trees and plants aregrowing.
This newest method of searching for minerals is 18 on the fact that minerals deep in the earth may 19 the kind of bushes and trees that grow on the surface.
At Watson Bar Creek, a brook six thousand feet high inthe mountains of British Columbia, Canada,a mineral search group gathered bags of tree seeds. Boxes were filled withsmall branches from the trees. Roots were dug and put into boxes. Each bag andbox was 20 marked.
In a scientific laboratory the parts of the forest treeswere burned to ashes and tested. Each small part was examined to learn whetherthere were minerals in it.
A.  signs B  sufficiently C. locating  D. affect   E. merely
F magic  G. hints  H. carefully I. finding  J. message  K. flight
L  probable  M.  revealing  N. based O. information
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
Unit Three
.Passage 2
   America's most famous woman is the Goddessof Liberty, i. e. the Statue of Liberty. It was first thought of in 1865 byEduardo de Laboulaye and designed by another Frenchman, Frederic Bartoldi.They wanted to 11 liberty and friendship.
It was hoped that the monument would be completed by 1876when America12 its centennial. Fund raising and the 13 of the statue in France went slowly. It was 1885whenthe 214 crates containing the statue reached New York.
Americans were initially 14 orthey had not raised the money to pay for the erection of the base. Fundraisingby popular subscription was behind 15 . One fund raising method used was tohave popular Americans write letters which were then sold in public.
The base and statue, 16 272feet tall, were completed in 1886. From a 17 standpoint,the statue is a marvel. The inner structure was designed by the Frenchengineer, Alexander Eiffel. His design for the stressed copper skin of thestatue anticipated many of the 18 utilizedin modern aircraft.
After a century, the monument began to show signs ofgetting worse in 19. Just as Frenchmen had created the Statue,so it was with restoration.
A Frenchman noted the decay and French and American craftsmen andcontributions brought about the renewal of the Statue in time for itscentennial. Liberty is still 20 in France and theUnited States.
A. completely  B. measures C. popular  D. together E. honor  F. manufacture G. schedule  H. reward  I. celebrated  J. principles K. embarrassed  L. technical  M. voluntary  N conditions  O. discouraged

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
Unit Four
Passage 2
   Sophie Brent came to visit me nearly everyday. She made me feel uneasy most of the time. She smoked 11 and never used an ashtray. She followed me into the kitchen while I madetea or coffee or supper and 12 herself to the children's orange juice. Shemade a great hit with my two-year-old daughter Flora, who would 13 about her for hours and refer to her lovingly as "sofa", andshe was always talking about my husband and asking me where he was.
I could not decide why she chose my 14, although I realized that nobody else paid her very much attention. Her situationwas very difficult in that she was 15out of drama school and only nineteen, butbeing 16 to play a leading part in a company of fairly17 and experienced actors. They would not have liked hermuch even if she had been good, and as, from all accounts, she was not good sothey took every 18 to run her down. I think she thought that Iwas the only person around who was both unconnected with the theatre andtolerably 19 .
To associate with me was not, at any rate, to step downthe scale. And for my part, although I felt troubled by her I did not dislikeher. There was something genuinely outstanding in her personality, and she hadsuch physical 20 that with me she could get away withanything. She was nice to have around, like flowers or a bowl of fruit.
A. helped     B. smart    C constantly      D. treated  E.  required
F. supreme     G hang  H. charm    I. continually   J. company
K. opportunity   L.distinguished    M. straight    N partner
O disappointed
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
Unit Five
Passage 2
Many people often enjoy eating out either before or aftera visit to the theatre. However, most of us would rather keep the two 11 separate. One man who thinks that they can be successfully combined hasnot only expressed his ideas in a recent book, but also set up an establishmentwhere the theory is put very 12 into practice. The man is Paul Thornton, andthe place is the Hollics, an old farm house.
Whenever I visit a new restaurant, I feel the sameexcitement that keen theatre-goers must experience on opening night. I had thisfeeling last Friday evening at dusk, as my wife and I were taking a walk in thebeautiful gardens of the restaurant 13 afterwe had arrived. Dinner was as excellent as we had been 14 .There is no menu, for Mr. Thornton creates his meals rather as adirector produces a play. Nevertheless, the various combinations of 15 at each course are always 16as if they were done by magic. He and histeam of highly skilled helpers serve, cut and cook the food, moving about the"stage" as confidently as 17actors. The meal is as different from what one finds in ordinary restaurants asa 18performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream would be from asecond-rate television production.
May I offer a few words of advice in case you arethinking of paying him a visit. Try not to arrive just after noon, as Mr.Thornton does not serve a normal lunch.  His "brunch" which19 the best 20 of a traditional English breakfast, isserved around eleven o'clock and is so plentiful that lunch is unnecessary.
A. features    B. shortly   C.potential    D. definitely
E. perfect   F. promoted    G. live   H. professional   
I. characters  J. promised    K.choices    L. includes   M.pleasures  
N. vigorously  O. substitutions
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
分享到:  QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|网站地图|家长易论坛 ( 鄂ICP备16011226号-1  点我聊天

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 08:15